93 V6 Intake Help/Suggestions(kind of long)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 21:13:24 EDT

Well I am done with my ignition mods, almost $400 later, and ready to do some
air intake mods. I plan on modding the TB, but I would first like to talk
about the various options I have to alter the air intake before the TB.
Currently, I am running a 2 Stage Hi-Flo Amsoil Air Filter, with all the ait
intake tubes sealed off with silicon caulk, and I also removed the air intake
plate at the grill. I really like to way my Dak runs now, but from what other
DMLers say, replacing this stock air intake tube and round air filter housing
with an aftermarket kit, can really help out with performance/mileage. I am
not out or concerned with making my Dak being the fastest in the 1/4 mile nor
racing Mustangs on the street, just would like somemore oomph. Now, I really
like the K&N FIPK, but I dont know if it is worth $110(but I do know it is a
complete kit). I also love Turbo City's dual air intake, but once again, dont
think it is worth the $200 they want for it. What are my other options? I
know about the cone filter setups, but really am not a fan of them nor their
looks. I know about the FABM and other homebrew 360 degree kits, but I am
hesistant toward doing this for one main reason.......will a homebrew be as
good as a K&N FIPK? I would spend the $110 for the FIPK, if I knew it really
helps. So this once again brings up another question, is 360 degrees of hot
air better than the restrictive stock cold air system? I thought about saving
some $$$ and putting it into some other part of my Dak and just leaving my
stock air tube in place along with the stock round air filter housing and
just drilling some 1"-1 1/2" holes in the air tube along with 4-5 on the side
of the round metal filter housing, to get both the cold air from the grill
but maybe also some more air(warm/hot) from the engine bay. I do not want my
engine bay cluttered with a cold air tube either if I did go with a open
element kit. I know I am picky, but I am also a Dak lover :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 106,000 miles