Tuff Country Lift (next one will be short - I swear!)

From: Angelo, Tony (Tony_Angelo@afcc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 09:05:11 EDT

The install is DONE! Except for replacing the Upper control Arm Drop
Brackets - which UPS is dropping off today.

I'm feeling better after crawling around under the truck and checking
everything out with a keen "I don't want this to break and kill me" eye.
Apparently, the instructions are crap - not the kit. Turns out that the all
of "modifications" the mechanic had to do were centered around the new
crossmember. First he had to mount it upside down - instructions say it
goes OVER the pumpkin, he had to mount it UNDER. Well, if I look at the
pictures in the 4Wheel & Off-Road, that's how they show it - under the diff.
He also had to shave away one edge of the crossmember to clear the lowest
cooling fin on the diff. No big deal. The rear end was just a little
strange - the Add-A-Leaf goes inside the spring pack, between the third and
fourth leaves. The mystery shims were not used. The U-bolts still point
down (I guess only the Durango kit - which has new springs - flips 'em
over).

If I had it to do over, I think I would opt to do it myself. The old bump
stops could have been cut off before you ever began the install - that's the
only "special" tool you'll need. It really wasn't a hard job - they just
spent a lot of time trying to follow incorrect instructions and chasing down
missing bolts. Hell, that's every project I've ever done (the WhippleCharger
install on my long gone 454SS was a classic - how many rides to the parts
store can you get before your friends stop coming over)! While I made sure
I had every last thing on the parts list before I took it in, the
instructions call for stuff that's not on the list - and it took them more
than an hour of phone time to locate all those Grade 8 bolts locally (you
guys in bigger town would probably have no problem) - thank God for farm
equipment dealers.

Oh yeah, it looks AWESOME!! The top of the bed just peeked over the roof of
an old Olds 88 station wagon sitting next to it. Definitely cries for the
bigger tires. Will post some picks as soon as I get some taken. Haven't
driven it yet - they didn't align it since the replacement brackets coming
today will throw it off again.

Tony Angelo
'99 Solar Yellow Sport, CC, 4X4, Bed Rail/Light Bar, Grill/Brush Guard, soon
to be 5.5" Tuff Country Lift and 33" Goodyear MTs on the stock wheels (love
that powder coat!!), Jacobs Pro-Street ignition(you convinced me, Brian D!)