RE: electric supercharger

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 13:46:18 EDT

> HAHAHAHA.....I like this answer they give in the FAQs :
>
> "What is the life expectancy of the ERAM device, and does it require
> maintenance?
>
> Answer: The only moving parts are the Instrument quality rare earth
> electric motor which is
> rated for over 3000 hours. It is impervious to heat and has sealed, zero
> maintenance ball
> bearings. Because of the low duty cycle (on the race track it is only on
> for 20 to 40 seconds a lap
> depending on the road course such as Laguna Seca or Sears Point where
> testing is done), the
> e-RAM unit should outlast your engine."
>

> What the hell is an "Instrument quality rare earth electric motor" ?
>
> Sounds like fabricated mumbo-jumbo to me .

Not mumbo-jumbo... They are mostly used in micromechanical robots/robotic
arms, electronic aircraft intruments, and scientific instrument gauges.
Those motors aren't cheap either. What they use a rare earth magnets which
are not affected by earths magnetic fluctuations and temperature extremes as
el cheapo permanent magnets. You see them now also in the newer hard drives
available.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd