Re: Roller Rockers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 14:35:30 EDT

At 12:45 PM 7/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm open to any suggestions here. I believe I mangled some pushrods about
>two weeks ago. Not bad enough to take the DAK down, but it is somewhat
>limpy, surgy, stumbles alot at cruise, what-have-you. Anyway, I have looked
>into the CompCams 1425 kit that includes the 1.7 roller rockers, guide
>plates and .080 pushrods. I know that Mopar makes a set, and Crane has a
>1.6 set. I have not compared any prices or products yet. Is the sure bet
>to go with the Mopar's, or is one of the other manufacturers a better
>arrangement? Any first hand experience or input would be greatly
>appreciated.
>I may also call Hughes or somebody about a cam as well. Any accolades here
>would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the MP R/T Magnum cam kit and the MP 1.6 aluminum roller rockers along
with the MP valve springs and retainers installed last week. Hence, first
hand experience is limited to one go at the track last Sunday.

Prior to this, I did experience valve float twice at about 5000-5200 rpm.
I believe the cause was that the engine got too hot when warming up the tires.

With the cam and rockers, the following were most noticeable:
  1. you can now move up through the rpms a lot quicker
  2. the power comes alive at about 3000 rpm and keeps pulling
  3. there is still more pull left at 5500 rpm
  4. on a 97F (humidex of 115F) day and an 18 mph tailwind, 5 out of the 7
      runs produced personal best e.t. (hundredths of sec) whereas cars in
      the street class were running .3 to .4 sec. slower
  5. I was amazed at the consistency of the new valve train as all runs
      were within hundreds of a sec. I had not experienced this before.
  6. before, when hitting wot, the engine would emit a whine-type of sound
      now, there is just a loud roar ... much like the 340 c.i.

I don't know if I will reach my 14.9 goal on a cooler and dryer day but it
will
be close. I still need to experiment with different rpm shifts so that I can
make use of all that mid to high rev. power gain within the 1/4 mi. track.
The best run was with a 1700 rpm launch, a 5500 rpm 1-2 shift and a 5200 rpm
2-3 shift. Only had a 100-200 or so feet left of track so I may have to
lower the shift rpms to get more track.

I am also having some work done on the auto. tranny next week to lessen the
slippage.

If you opt for the 1.7 rockers, a minor adjustment will be to either modify
your stock valve covers or go with the MP Magnum covers. IMHO, these covers
look sharp and the only mod you'll need is to somehow lengthen the hose to the
PCV a tiny bit as these covers are higher than the stock ones.

I went with MP parts because I need to pass the newly implemented clean air
test
to licence the Dakota and I know that the MP parts are OBD-II compliant.

Hope this helps. Will post further experiences in the future.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red