RE: '95 Tow hooks..

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 19:04:30 EDT

Just some generic 10,000 lb. hooks. $30 for the pair at Canadian Tire
(that's about $20 in US dollars). They even came with the bolts, washers,
nuts and strap clips.

I just need to figure out exactly where I'm going to mount them. Somewhere
on the front frame rail. I'll just drill a couple of holes and bolt them
up. I'll probably have to cut out part of the plastic air dam to get easy
access to them as well. I'm trying to decide between the bottom edge of the
frame (puts the hooks lower, plus there's not as much space to work with) or
on the outside edges (puts the hooks further off center).

Another '95 Dakota owner I met in the Central Ontario 4x4 club has two 2"
receivers mounted under the bumper (cut out the air dam) that he uses for an
A-frame. However, his extra cross bar for these receivers is welded to the
bumper brackets, and he says he's found out that these brackets aren't
strong enough for recovering a Dak stuck in mud. He wants to move the
receivers up to behind the bumper and cut holes in the bumper for them.

You guys who own Daks with the sexy new body style that uses $160 tow hooks
can think about the fact that sometimes simpler is better. :-) Don't get me
wrong, I love our '98, but the changes aren't without drawbacks.

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg. Cab V6/3.9L/5spd
current: '98 Dakota Sport black 4x4 Club Cab V8/5.2L/Auto
RIP: '95 Dakota Sport black 4x2 Club Cab V6/3.9L/Auto