RE: Tuff Country 5.5" lift--Group Buy

From: McKinney, John R. MHX (McKinJr@hpd.abbott.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 13:44:38 EDT

Jason, I personally only have experience with Rancho on a couple of full
size Dodge's that I own and they have worked great over the years, there are
a couple of things I would do differently on them, but overall they are
good. Only Rancho and Tuff Country have kits currently available for the
97-99 Dakotas (there's a rumor about Trailmaster, but not confirmed). The
Rancho is only 3" and won't clear 33's so that's out. I've checked a couple
of magazines and web boards and have only heard positive things about Tuff
Country. I've seen the components in the kit and they are built to be very
strong!!! Plate thicknesses are over twice as thick as stock and tons of
cross supports. Apparently, the Davis brothers (Tuff Country owners), have
a reputation for engineering overkill, which in this case may be good! In
my opinion, this is probably as good as we're going to get while we have the
torsion bar front suspension. The shocks that come with the kit, however,
may be another story.

As far as the other companies, the only negative thing I've heard was
about Trailmaster. An off roader referred to them as "Trail-disaster" I
guess he had some components fail on him--nothing first hand. Some of the
others don't even deal with Dodges, so they don't count!!

John McKinney