Dak stalling again!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 15:41:51 EDT

  On the way down to Carlisle, as I pulled over to wait for the rest
of the convoy to go through a tollboth, my Dak stalled. I didn't think
much of it because it started right back up again, and was fine the rest
of the way down, throughout the show, and all the way back up. However,
today, as I was starting out from a light, it stalled again. I managed
to coast it to the curb, it started again, but would die when I gave it
any gas. Finally it started again (and stayed running), and I drove
maybe half a mile or so, and as I was sitting at another light, it died
again. I waited until the light changed, then started it up, and made
it about another half a mile to work, which is where I am right now.

  I have a fuel pressure guage installed, and the fuel pressure never
wavered. I've got a new distributor pickup in the distributor, and the
dealer recently replaced the fuel pump module with a new one.

  I didn't get any trouble codes. Seems like most times when it started,
it'd go up to a little over 1,000rpm or so, then as the idle settled back
down to about 600, it'd just die. But sometimes it doesn't! Today isn't
particularly hot - maybe 77-80 degrees.

  Anyone have any ideas as to why it would stall like this? I thought maybe
it was from not enough voltage due to my underdriven alternator pulley,
but one time it died was when I was holding the revs at about 1500 and
the voltage needle was in the proper zone. So far, it hasn't stalled
as I was driving along, just when sitting still.

 Argh! :-P

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.55@94.14), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |