Re: Re: On this A/C cooling thing...

From: Tibor Kun (tiborski@excite.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 20:32:38 EDT

>> Maybe this depends on year?... my '98 Ram does NOT disengage the A/C
when
floored.. my '89 Corsica used to do this... but my '95 Neon doesn't
either... <<

I think it has to do with perceived need by the manufacturer. My 4-cylinder
Ranger, my Dakota's predecessor, killed the A/C when the pedal was floored
... but it NEEDED to do so if it were to be anything near responsive to the
command to move it's butt. My '98 V6 Dakota does not.

You can easily tell whether it does or not, guys, by taking a tall hill in
5th floored on a hot day. If it *does* kick out, you'll be sweating by the
top (or at least I was in my Ranger). It also makes a difference in the
accelleration; you could feel it in my Ranger. Usually bordered on
annoying, though, since one moment it wasn't accellerating, so I'd punch it
to catch back up with the guy in front of me, only to have to drop the gas
because it had accellerated too much. No happy medium there in tight
traffic. If your vehicle does it, y'all can usually tell once you're used
to the truck.

--
Tibor
'98 RC V6 5-speed red Sport