Leaking Radiator on 93 w/ a V-6

From: carl.nybro@natinst.com
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 10:14:00 EDT

The plastic head on my radiator just sprouted a leak between it and the core.
Funny though because it's not a constant leak. It only appears to leak after an
extended drive and I shut the engine off. Could this be because there is less
pressure when the engine is on? I thought the temperature rises when the engine
is off because of no circulation - which may explain why it leaks when the
engine is off.

So, is this repairable? I'm thinking it may be just the seal between the core
and head. I think it should cost less than $50 to fix. A new radiator from
Dodge is $370. Parts America has a Modine radiator for $270 and Vans has an ARS
radiator for $212. Some local shops have recommended that if it can't be fixed,
then it should be replaced with an all metal radiator (no plastic head). I only
plan on keeping the truck for another year and then I have to cave-in and do the
minivan thing (sob!), so performance is not an issue. Any thoughts?

Also, what techniques have you used to flush out the cooling system? The shop
manual say to open the two drain plugs on either side of the block. If I crack
these open, do I need to put thread sealant back on them to prevent any leaks?

TIA,
Carl
carl.nybro@natinst.com