RE: 4 wheelin(equipment) -- New 4x4 Durango

From: Pendleton, Dennis (Dennis.Pendleton@harrisgrp.com)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 14:30:11 EDT

Don't forget the TP!

-----Original Message-----
From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com [mailto:GrnDak4x4@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 10:52 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: 4 wheelin(equipment) -- New 4x4 Durango

<<
 I think the sand is pretty hard. What sort of basic equipment would I
need?
 I am pretty new to off roading, so I am not going to get too hard core...
 yet ;-) I need to learn more before I tackle the Rubicon ;-) >>

Here is what I always carry in my Dak, either behind the seat or in the tool

box. With that Durango you should have tons of space. Lots of stuff, but it
all fits great with extra room to spare. I am sure there is more things I
need too!!

In the cab(always):
I always carry a OHSA approved first aid kit fully stocked, whether I am
4wheelin' or not. Good pair of high quality jumper cables, low(thick) guage
preferred. A small 2-2 1/2 foot spade shovel(Sears/Home Depot). I always
have
a 3"x30' tow strap. A fire extinguisher when 4wheelin. 3D MagLite mounted
on
the tranny hump next to the 4WD shifter.
In the tool box(always):
A 10ft piece of Grade 8 logging chain with hooks in a 30MM ammo can in the
tool box(always in there) 20feet of Grade 8 chain with hooks(when 4wheelin)
in a 50MM ammo can. Good pair of thick leather/canvas work gloves. I have a
small metal tool box full of various tools(always), from screwdrivers to
sockets to pliers, everything I can fit in it. I carry my old set of spark
plug wires, just in case the MSD's die. I carry my old stock coil, in case
the Accel dies. 4D Maglite, in case the other dies. 50MM ammo can full of
tie
downs and bungee cords. A roll of handtowels in case a trail repair gets
greasy(in a Craftsman canvas tool bag along with the plug wires, duct tape,
electrical tape, and other stuff) A small Rubbermade bin with various
lubes(tranny fluid(tcase fluid), diff lube, engine oil, penetrant spray,
etc). 2-3 heavy duty Clevis rings/hooks. Small 2"x6 ft tow strap. An
assortment of bolts, nuts, screws, pins, fuses of all types, etc.

Don't forget some type of communication device, I have a CB in my overhead
console, but also like to bring a cell phone. I still want to carry a
Hi-Lift
Jack with me, just haven't ordered/bought on yet. Hope this helps!!!! With
all this I still have room in the tool box and have the entire bed empty for

coolers, tents, sleeping bags, water, etc.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6