Questions: Wiring auxil. lights

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 15:42:03 EDT

Now that I have my Grill/Bursh Guard Mounted and I have bought some driving
lights, I have started to prewire(cut, solder, etc) the lights in the
basement so all I have to do is go outside, mount them and wire it up(bought
plenty of black pastic wire loom to protect the wires). Wish it was that
easy! I think these directions suck, and I consider myself to be rather
mechanically inclined too(my first time wiring up auxil. lights)

I am using Hella 500 6" Round driving lights, here is what I have in the
light kit and what I have done so far(not in any special order):
          I have a illuminated light swich, with 3 "tabs" in the back of it.
It has a tiny diagram on it reading Earth(top? small tab), Load(Middle,
larger tab), and Supply(bottom?smaller tab) The middle tab is longer that the
other two. A yellow wire gets connected to this longer tab and gets run into
a relay(#85). This I am fine with. Whats this yellow wire for anyways, just
curious.
         Then I use the red wire(power) and connect it from the relay(#30) to
the battery, I am also fine with this.
         Next it appears that I take one of the smaller two tabs on the back
of the switch and using a Green wire, run it into the highbeams. I want to
operatethese lights, turn on and off, whenever I want to. I do not want these
lights to come on only when the highbeams are on, so do I have to even run
this wire? can I just leave the wire off and have an exposed terminal on the
switch?
          Then, on the relay(#86), the diagram shows a short blue wire coming
off the relay terminal and just stopping, not going into/connected to
anything. Is this a relay ground or something???
          Similar to this, on one of the smaller of the two tabs on the back
of the light switch , the diagram shows a small small wire, length wise,(not
even colored/marked) coming off the tab and not going into/connected to
anything. Once again, is this a light switch ground wire???
          Now onto the lights themselves.....Each light has 2 wires coming
out the the housing. One is a black wire and One is a blue wire. The black
wires are in a "y" harness connected together, with one wire branching off
into 2. This black wire gets connected onto the relay(#87). What happens with
the blue wires with a ring terminal on the ends??????? The diagram just shows
the blue ones going down and once again, not getting used for anything,
similar to the blue wire coming off the #86 relay terminal. This kit did
supply 2-3 of those small blue "pigtail" crimps, but where do these go?
Sorry so long, but I want to mount these tomorrow after work and report to
the DML how they work. THANKS ALOT FOR ANY HELP!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6