Re: Pinging Dakota fixes

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 20:51:29 EDT

I did this on my '95 which was experiencing pinging at WOT. It helped but
did not eliminate the problem that I have had since I bought the truck. I
now have 100K miles on it and if I get on it real hard I still get the
pinging. This after installing a 180degree T-stat and the cooler plugs and
regularly using octane boost. All measures reduced the problem but did not
eliminate it. I just learned to drive a little differently to avoid ping,
like open throttle 7/8 of the way instead of totally. I don't race it so
97% of the time I have no problem (you may be different though). But don't
just go by my experience. Any one or both of these could work fine for you.
I don't have the plug numbers on hand. I just went into the auto parts
store and asked for the next heat range cooler plug (I am running
Autolites). Perhaps I should try different brands of plugs to see if I find
one that works, but that sounds real empirical, not to mention expensive in
terms of money and time.

Bob K.