Re: emission laws and stupid crap!

From: Ryan Krokosinski (ryan@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 00:29:21 EDT

That's exactly my point. Big or small; in my opinion, if it's not
passing emissions it has nothing to do with V-6, V-8 etc. It's
all about tuning. If your motor is running in top shape... IT
WILL PASS. If it's not, there's something in the combo that can
either be improved or is missing. If you put a giant cam in a
stock motor with nothing else you'll get some power, but not
nearly as much as if you had properly selected a "combo" that
meshes properly. That's where the folly is for most folks. They
just slap together the latest parts and think that that's what
tuning is all about. WRONG!! That's just wasted money. Not to
mention your point about tune-ups. Most people don't even think
to tune up their cars these days. The manual says the plugs last
60,000 miles so they just drive the bag off it until then. Those
are the people that are causing the emissions problems, not the
hot rodders.

BTW - That pass was in 2WD. It has part time 4WD but the front
end doesn't like all that power. It tends to blow up. Still
pretty good for something that weighs like 6000+ lbs.

Ryan K
'99 R/T RC