backspacing-17" wheels

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 22:41:16 EDT

> I was looking into getting some 17" wheels and was considering buying
> some 17*8 for the front and some 17*9.5 for the rear . I have a 96
SC
sport
> and was wondering what backspacing I should use I want the wheels to
be
> tucked in not sticking out. So if anyone has any info for me please
share
> it. I would greatly appreciate it .
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Ken
    Patrick, this ones for you..
        Ted O.

-Ken,
  the biggest problem that I see you are bringing into this is that not
many people if any on the DML are running over a 15" rim on a pre -'97
Dakota. If someone is, maybe they can volunteer the info on their
wheels. Acutally, Trottman went up to 16"ers but we cant reach him til
fall. Maybe he's got stuff still posted on his website. Anyway, the
reason I say this brings a problem is because the factory changed the
offset in '97 to a wheel that had more backspacing, which allowed a
bigger tire to be stuffed under the wheel well. I installed the 15x8's
from the '97+ on my '94 4X4 and they rubbed the brake caliper bolts when
the brakes were applied. However, those wheels were specifically built
for post '96 models, and an aftermarket wheel manufacturer should be
able to supply a wheel that has been built for your model and will give
the proper clearance. Then, your biggest problem is choosing the
correct size tire that wont rub, this is harder than the wheel
selection!
  Backspacing is the distance from the back flange of the rim to the
lug nut flange as measured from the rear of the rim. To find yours,
flip your wheel over and lay something flat across the rim area so it
wont touch the tire. Then, take a ruler and measure from the bottom of
that straight down to the area where the lugs stick into the wheel.
This is your backspacing. Increasing it moves the wheel/tire further
under the truck. Decreasing it sticks the wheel out further.
  To make a long story short, Ken, if I where you, I'd find a wheel
retailer in your area, find a wheel they make that you like, and ask
them to see if it's available to fit your truck with the proper
backspacing and offset. They've already done all this research before
anyway. Good luck, keep us posted.
Patrick