Re: Calling all Auto Trans Geeks

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 22:38:29 EDT

<< This brings up an interesting point. I am about due for the trans.
service
 as well, but I am thinking of doing this myself. Since I have never done a
 tranny before I turn to the knowledge of the DML. Is this something I can
do
 myself, or should I spend the 80 or so bucks to let someone else do it.
 Also, a step by step guide of exactly what to do will help dramatically. I
 am not mechanically inclined, however, thanks to the DML, I am learning.
 Thanks in advance for any/all help. >>

I have always just paid the $40 at a local oil lube it place. I have the
tranny serviced(pull the pan, clean the pan, new gasket, new filter, and
refill with fluid) about every 30,000 miles; now at 108,000 miles I do not
have any tranny related problems or odd shifts. I go to the same place for
every service, cause I like their work(and I never like others working on my
Dak). Typically, I do all the other maintenance on my Dak, from changing the
fuel filter(and fuel pump twice!), to the oil, to the brakes, to just about
everything(since its been out of warranty for a loooooong time and I am too
cheap to pay someone to work on my Dak).....I like to do everything I can on
my Dak. For some reason though, I have never done the tranny fluid service.
For me, I would rather pay them the $40 and stay clean and work on my Dak in
other ways, as I hear it is a messy job unless you have put in a B&M tanny
pan drain plug. Ever looked at how those drain pan bolts are tucked
under/located close to alot of stuff, especially on our 4x4's. Seems like a
real knucle buster to me. However, I bet anyone on this list could do the
job, I have looked at doing it 2-3 times and its not hard to do at all. Like
I said, if I ever were to do it myself, a B&M tranny pan drain plug would go
on!! Good Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6