Re: Calling all Auto Trans Geeks

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Sat Jul 31 1999 - 22:47:02 EDT

I have done mine a few times.......Easy job, for the most part, but MESSY....

CAUTION: Watch it when you are removing the pan.....You hafta goff around
just right to get the pan on a 92 4x4 down.......due to a bunch of
mechanical hardware in the way, it is not a straight drop......AND, if you
put too mutch pressure on the flange of the pan while trying to finnagle it
out of there, you will bend it......probably put it back together and have
one HELL of a leakkk(Been there, done that!)....

At 10:38 PM 8/2/99 EDT, you wrote:

><< This brings up an interesting point. I am about due for the trans.
>service
> as well, but I am thinking of doing this myself. Since I have never done a
> tranny before I turn to the knowledge of the DML. Is this something I can
>do
> myself, or should I spend the 80 or so bucks to let someone else do it.
> Also, a step by step guide of exactly what to do will help dramatically. I
> am not mechanically inclined, however, thanks to the DML, I am learning.
> Thanks in advance for any/all help. >>
>
>I have always just paid the $40 at a local oil lube it place. I have the
>tranny serviced(pull the pan, clean the pan, new gasket, new filter, and
>refill with fluid) about every 30,000 miles; now at 108,000 miles I do not
>have any tranny related problems or odd shifts. I go to the same place for
>every service, cause I like their work(and I never like others working on my
>Dak). Typically, I do all the other maintenance on my Dak, from changing the
>fuel filter(and fuel pump twice!), to the oil, to the brakes, to just about
>everything(since its been out of warranty for a loooooong time and I am too
>cheap to pay someone to work on my Dak).....I like to do everything I can on
>my Dak. For some reason though, I have never done the tranny fluid service.
>For me, I would rather pay them the $40 and stay clean and work on my Dak in
>other ways, as I hear it is a messy job unless you have put in a B&M tanny
>pan drain plug. Ever looked at how those drain pan bolts are tucked
>under/located close to alot of stuff, especially on our 4x4's. Seems like a
>real knucle buster to me. However, I bet anyone on this list could do the
>job, I have looked at doing it 2-3 times and its not hard to do at all. Like
>I said, if I ever were to do it myself, a B&M tranny pan drain plug would go
>on!! Good Luck!
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

1992 Dodge Dakota V8 3.90's