Re: How does the Dak monitor intake air quantity/volume?

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 11:03:06 EDT

I'd have to guess the throttle body's butterflies. As throttle increases,
the butterflies open up more. There's your "pre-set" air intake amount. I
think this is an efficient design,

I saw my friend's 89 totota camry i4's mass air flow sensor and it looked
very restrictive. it was a plate that moved back and forward, controlled by
a small spring, but it seems restrictive to me...
-Dester

<< I use my Dakota for everyday driving and hauling my car/trailer combo
 around. I'm not too concerned about 1/4 mile times, but I would like a
 little more grunt when hauling my trailer. The whole idea of adding a
 few power mods to my Dak started me wondering how our trucks monitor and
 adjust for an increase in intake air volume or velocity. The reason I
 am asking is because I don't know how our trucks (or any other computer
 controlled vehicle) can maximize mods w/o a MAF type of meter.