How does the Dak monitor intake air quantity/volume?

From: Mike Pahls (mike.pahls@gfii.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 09:29:29 EDT

I use my Dakota for everyday driving and hauling my car/trailer combo
around. I'm not too concerned about 1/4 mile times, but I would like a
little more grunt when hauling my trailer. The whole idea of adding a
few power mods to my Dak started me wondering how our trucks monitor and
adjust for an increase in intake air volume or velocity. The reason I
am asking is because I don't know how our trucks (or any other computer
controlled vehicle) can maximize mods w/o a MAF type of meter.

On MAF (Mass Air Flow Meter) equipped vehicles any modifications that
alters intake air quantity (like an improved air filter, exhaust,
cams...) are easily (and accurately) accommodated by the vehicle's
computer. On non-MAF equipped vehicle the intake air is often monitored
by a less accurate Speed Density (Is that what they are called?) type of
meter. These type of meters are much cheaper to produce, but not as
accurate/accommodating to modifications. Often these meters cause an
engine to run leaner as more mods are added to the vehicle. Often the
only way maximize mods with Speed Density systems, is to have the
computer reprogrammed for the specific mods.

This brings me to my question again: How does the Dak measure intake
air volume? I don't see a MAF along the intake. If it is a Speed
Density system aren't we running the risk of being too lean as mods are
added? Isn't this a little dangerous on a vehicle that is prone to
detonate already (in its stock configuration)? Doesn't this mean that
all the gains that are seen with exhaust systems and intakes, can they
be greater if the computer could fully adjust for them?

Sorry for all the techno mumbo jumbo and questions, but I just want to
get a little more grunt out of my truck AND understand how the Dak
accommodates mods.

Mike Pahls
Toy - '93 Sentra SE-R (210HP from 2.0 liters)
Work Horse - '97 Dak 4x4 SLT+ CC (230HP from 5.2 liters)