Re: Re: torsion bars and tire help, please

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 08 1999 - 14:29:35 EDT

I have had the front of my Dak cranked up about 1/2" for since my new tires
at 86,000 miles. I now have 108,000 miles on them(Dunlop Radial Rover RV)
with really no unusual wear. I do however, rotate them every 6-7,000 miles. I
would not recommend to crank the tbars up more than 1 inch. I kow some
Nissans and Toyotas can handle a 2+" tbar lift, but their CV joints are made
different than our Daks, and aftermarket high angle CV joints are available
for those which also can help. To find the adjuster bolts, just follow the
tbars from the control arms to where they connect to the frame, about under
the seats in the cab. I suggest to spray some penetrant lube on the tbar
bolts 15+ minutes before adjusting them. I cant remember the size, but the
bolt is fairly large, put a pipe at the end of the ratchet for added
leverage, if air tools are not available. Bounce the front bumper up and down
4-5 times after cranking them up and them remeasure, as they do settle.
Aftermarket HD tbars are available for out Daks at about $200 for a set; I
have to check and readjust mine every 2-3 months, as I have stock(soft and
wimpy) tbars. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6