Re: Exhaust question?(Bernd)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 13:46:12 EDT

Bernd,
So what you are saying concerning the stock muffler(is its internal packing)
is that it is restrictive and a Flowmaster is better than this. I am really
not very knowledgable about mufflers and their flow rates, which one is
better than the other, etc. I would like your input here. I just am curious
about this: I know on my 93 that the exhaust system, catalytic converter and
back, is the same system for both the V8s and the V6s.

In the September issue of Four Wheeler(Project MPG) they tried out Flowmaster
mufflers and took them off for cheap ole' Turbo mufflers, cause they showed
better gains, for their application altleast. Of course, they were testing
these mufflers out on a 460 c.i. crew cab dually Ford 4x4. So I guess larger
engines need to expell these exhaust fumes faster than my V6?

The only exhaust modification I have is a hi-flo catalytic converter(stock
one died at 85,000 miles and the hi-flo one was the same price) and I cut off
the 90 degree exit pipe(how it exits behind the rear tire) and used stainless
steel clamps to clamp on
(sealed the pipe with 900 degree gasket maker) a 45 degree mandrel bent piece
of pipe that now exits right at the corner of the rear bumper, with a nice
Meg's stainless steel 5"x2" oval tip(looks great!). I have wanted a new
muffler,a "high flowing" one, but have been rather hesitant on whether its
really worth it, other than the different sound or tone of an aftermarket
one. I do have a complete aftermarket ignition(including a MSD box) and just
a 2stage Amsoil Air Filter, hoping to soon have a Stage I TB. So the stock
system really should flow enough for my stock V6 right, but with other the
other small mods I have, should I upgrade to an aftermarket muffler? Over
time, do the stock mufflers 'clog up' at all(now at 108,000 miles)??? Thanks
for your opinion on this.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6