Re: Exhaust question?(Bernd)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 14:12:37 EDT

At 01:46 PM 08/11/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>So I guess larger
>engines need to expell these exhaust fumes faster than my V6?

To a point...but Yes.

>I have wanted a new
>muffler,a "high flowing" one, but have been rather hesitant on whether its
>really worth it, other than the different sound or tone of an aftermarket
>one. I do have a complete aftermarket ignition(including a MSD box) and just
>a 2stage Amsoil Air Filter, hoping to soon have a Stage I TB.

If you're going to be installing a better TB, have a good ignition system
and intake system, yes...replace the stock muffler.

>So the stock
>system really should flow enough for my stock V6 right, but with other the
>other small mods I have, should I upgrade to an aftermarket muffler? Over
>time, do the stock mufflers 'clog up' at all(now at 108,000 miles)??? Thanks
>for your opinion on this.

Any muffler with packing material will clog up eventually...108K
miles...it's probably not flowing as good as it can. I mainly suggest
flowmaster since i've had a lot of experiences with them (not only on my
Dak but at previous shops as well as previous personal vehicles). Borla,
Walker (DynoMax), and Gibson also are very good mufflers.

- Bernd