Electrical Problems

From: Drew Schofield (droopie@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 00:33:06 EDT

I'll make a long painful story short. I ran out of gas last week...the
guage did say 1/8th, but the low fuel level light had never come on, and the
trip computer said 49 miles till empty. I thought it was my Jet chip. It
had gotten wet once when I first got it and ran the same missing, no power
way that my truck was last week. So after messing around with the computer
and relays, I finally realized it was out of fuel. Put fuel in and no
spark. Somehow I guess I managed to short the computer. Had it towed to
the dealer, they took 4 days to fix it and I got it back today. Driving
away the ABS light came on, along with the Brake light. I turned around and
went back. They looked at it and the mechanic said "aw, it'll take about 50
miles to relearn since that's a new computer." I was pretty sure it was not
going to go away and it hasn't...but I needed my truck badly. (BTW I don't
have 4 wheel ABS...just rear ABS) I have a 98 4x4 CC 5.2 Auto. The brakes
work fine, I guess the rear ABS is acting up. I can't really spare more
time in the shop, unless absolutely necessary. I don't have a TSM on my
truck, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to what I can
check to see what's bad. Oh, the ABS light doesn't come on immediately. I
start the truck..all the lights come on as normal and go out as normal.
About 2 minutes later, the ABS and brake lights light up. I haven't checked
to see if they come on just sitting and idling in the driveway. They also
come on when I haven't hit the brake pedal yet.

Any ideas? I don't know where to start.

Drew
droopie@midsouth.rr.com