checking oil consumption

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 23:46:50 EDT

" Get out on the highway, stomp on
the
gas, if you get a cloud of smoke then something is up with you valve
train.
If no smoke get up to 60-65 and let off the gas completely, if you got
smoke
then I forsee a ring job in your future."

-Greg, I disagree. Valve seals are most affected by the high vacuum
seen on deceleration. Rings give the most amount of blowby on hard
acceleration. I think you got them backwards. Also, if valve seals are
going, you'll usually see a nice puff of smoke when you first start the
truck in the morning.
Patrick