Re: 15 X 7 Wheels (backspacing and fitment)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 20:05:25 EDT

At 04:31 PM 8/18/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Okay - I've got a '92 2WD with the stock 6" wide wheels. I'd like to latch
>onto a set of 15 x 7 factory wheels in order to fit some wider tires than
>will fit on my current wheels. I know we've been through this before - but
>who knows what differences (if any) there are between the backspacing on
the
>7" wheels and the 6" wheels. The stock 6" wheels almost touch the front
>upper control arm as is, so will the 7" wide wheels work or not. I know the
>15 x 8" wheels will not work without some kind of spacer and longer wheel
>studs. SteveM.

The backspacing of the factory '97+ 15x7 rim is almost 5.5" (maybe 1/16" less
than that ... I measured before looking for aftermarket rims). Beyond the
design change for the '97+, the front suspensions were completely revamped as
well. From all the posts that I've read since Sept. '98, everything seems to
indicate that they will not fit unless spacers and fender flares are used plus
the fact that you say that, with your 6" rims, they almost touch the front
upper control arm.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red