Tonneaus - was Gas mileage polls

From: Weldon Helmus (welhel@iname.com)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 16:02:06 EDT

The tonneau vs. MPG controversy will rage on because everyone has a
different experience. I didn't get mine to improve MPG but for the security.

Mine is a solid heavy gauge metal split lengthwise down the middle
(VersaCap). You can see all the configurations of it in the DML Pics. I had
a soft tonneau on my 91 CC for six years. Had to have the edge restitched
twice but I hated the way it fluttered at highway speeds. I didn't
experience any increase in MPG with it either. I like being able to secure
my bed. The tonneau includes a mechanical tailgate lock.

About a year ago the local paper had an article summarizing a controlled
test with and without the tailgate up on a RC. The conclusion was that there
was no evidence of improved MPG. The truck is designed so the airflow goes
over the tailgate and creates the bubble effect that someone else mentioned.

Let the discussion continue. I love my tonneau.

Weldon
99 R/T CC DA in San Jose