Re: Tonneaus - was Gas mileage polls

From: stevie.o@excite.com
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 08:35:49 EDT

> Hey guys - on these tonneaus, tailgates, and MPG numbers.
    The covers do eliminate the 4' tall vertical drop from the rear
    edge of
    the cab down to the bottom of the truck bed, so we *should* be
    seeing a
    gain there, but I'm just not getting that on my dak. The drag
    from the
    truck's (with toneau) comes from:
    a-relatively big frontal area
    b-lots of air going under the truck and mixing with the
    mechanicals
    c-vertical drop behind cab to top of tonneau
    d-vertical drop from top of tailgate to bottom of bumper.
    Cale

I agree and disagree, I put on a Camper top, cab high, and found a imediate
1 mpg gain, not much, nothing to brag about, but
I did notice better handeling right out of the lot, the tail was a lot less
likly to sail around behind me, not as "lite' felling.
I agree with the areodynamicas of a brick theroy, the dak being a bigger
truck than any other mini,,,,, I had a old ranger (86) put a cap on it
(camper cap) and Mpg jumped from 14 to 18 mpg, of cousre that only proves
how badlt desinged the Ramger is!!!

Stevie.o@excite.com
99 SLT CC 4x4 V8 Emerald GRN
Best MPG 17 on last lttle trip to Michigans vacation haven