Re: T-Bar - raising front end on 92-96 dakota

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 19:51:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/99 1:59:35 PM Central Daylight Time, Mark340@aol.com
writes:

<< What is the process of raising the t-bar's on the older style Dakota's? I
 heard you can raise the front end about an inch safely without any damage as
 long as you get a front end alignment when you done. What is the first to
 last thing you have to do? >>

Here is the method I use, or try to use:
First, place your Dakota on a flat, even surface. A 6ft level works good to
find the best level surface, if you do not have access to a 100% flat garage
space like I do. Find where the tbars meet with the adjusting bolts and
mounts at the frame and spray some penetrant lubricant on them about 5-10
minutes before adjusting them. You do not have to spray the adjuster bolts if
you have access to air tools. The strength of the impact gun will easily turn
the tbar adjuster bolts without lube. While the penetrant is soaking in,
measure how tall the front already sits. I like to go from the bottom of the
center of the tires to the bottom of the fender flares; just find out what
measurements and location on the truck will give you consistent numbers and
use that. If you have an air gun, go ahead a tighten the bolts up to the
desired lift height. If you are using a ratchet/socket(I use a 3"-6"
extension bar), I suggest putting a long metal pipe over the ratchet(AKA
'monkey wrench') to gain some added leverage, as these bolts are fairly hard
to tighten, but by no means too hard. Once again, tighten up the bolts to the
desired lift height. Measure to make sure both sides are even. Be sure to
bounce on the front of the the truck(the bumper works good) 5-6 times to let
the front end settle and then remeasure the height. Good Luck.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6