RE: Re: Dyno Check RD 52mm TB vs Stock

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 16:34:12 EDT

GS,

The lean condition that I was experiencing with my truck was the result of
an O2 sensor stuck on the rich side. When the O2 was replaced, the problem
went away. The problem with TB modifications, is that you need to keep the
velocity up to get accurate MAP signals to the computer. The larger bores
can be made to work, but it requires computer mods to get it right (alter
MAP variables to the computer). Larger bores are needed when you clean up
the intake track (port work on the heads and intake) but these require
computer mods anyway. Any work on the TB's really does require the
assistance of a flow bench. Its not just a matter of removing the venturi
above the plates. The shrouding was placed in there for a purpose and the
computer was programmed with this in mind. The shrouding serves and is a
part of the total power band. Removing it does give the feeling of more
power (just above idle) but you need to look at the total power band,
because power is lost. The shaft even plays an important part of the total
equation. Any change in velocity is read by the computer. With the bigger
bore TB's we have been playing with, the torque and HP figures along the
whole powerband are variable, at certain RPM's they are higher and at
others, they are lower than stock.......

        Frank