RE: Decisions, Decisions - Help on 2000 Dak Purchase

From: Alex Ross (ajross50@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 18:00:37 EDT

Hi Folks,
I'm in the market for a 2000 Sport+ Dakota and I've got a couple of
questions
(at end of message). Here's what I'm thinking

Questions:
1. How does the 4.7 compare to the 3.9? I like the fact the 4.7 has better
performance (does it?) and better mileage than the 3.9. But the 3.9 is
satisfactory for me. Should I risk going with a new engine (especially
considering they've already recalled it before they even sold any). Since
I'm in MA, no 4.7's available to try here yet. Do you think the MA
emissions
will kill the performance?
Get the 4.7. These trucks aren't light and need the extra torque. The 4.7
is not a brand new engine. Jeep has had it in the Grand Cherokee for a year
now.
2. Should I upgrade to the Posi and/or 3.92 gears? What does these do for
me? Is it worth $300? How would it affect mileage (I want _at least_ 18
Hwy). (Actually w/4.7L & 5M, I have to get the Posi).
Don't go with the 3.92's if you want 18mpg. Stick with the 5spd and 3.55
Posi.
3. How about the $34 1800# payload option, which gives the larger rear
brakes. Does this option also do anything for the suspension? (this would
mean I'd have to get the Sure Grip rear end, etc.). Should I get it?
Bigger brakes are always better. You are going to have a rougher ride,
however, with 1800# payload option.
4. I'm trying to decide between Auto and Manual and would like some
opinions.
 I tend to like the control a Manual gives you, but am considering finally
switching to Auto. Going standard saves a good chunk of change, but does
make for a less comfortable drive for my passengers (at least the way I
drive). But I drive the truck mostly by myself (we have an Intrepid for the
family). Also, if I get the Auto, I don't need the Sure Grip Posi.
If you don't mind shifting gears, get the manual. Its cheaper, gets better
mileage and is faster.
5. How about $51 for HD Cooling? Does it help? I imagine if I go Auto
Tranny, I should get it.
Shouldn't need it unless you do a lot of heavy towing. But, more cooling
capacity can never hurt.
Sorry this message was so long, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom Perry