Decisions, Decisions - Help on 2000 Dak Purchase

From: bigred563@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 16:41:25 EDT

Hi Folks,
I'm in the market for a 2000 Sport+ Dakota and I've got a couple of questions
(at end of message). Here's what I'm thinking

25B - 4WD Club Cab Sport, (got two boys (23 and 10 Months)) $18040
Color - Driftwood (hides dirt well, wife likes it best)
NAE - MA Emissions
EVA - 4.7L V8 $502
DDC - 5 speed Manual transmission
DSA - Sure Grip $242
AGU - Sport+ (Tire & Hndlng, Air Cond., Light Group, Fog Lights). $752
AJK - Cruise Control $332
CLA - Floor Mats $26
RAZ - CD/Cassette/Infinity/Eq $561
GFD - Rear Window $98
ADL - Skid Plate $111

Dealer Holdback - ($691)
Price - $19993 + $520 Dest + Profit (+ Dealer Advertising?)

Other options I'm considering
Z5B - 1800# (11x2 Rear brakes) $34
DMH - 3.92 Rear end $34
NMC - HD Cooling (Pwr Strng Cooler, Aux Trans Cooler for Auto) $51

Usage:
Mostly to haul fairly light stuff, once in a great while heavy stuff (i.e.
Blue board, )
Camping
light - medium duty off road work (especially after a good snowstorm! :-) )
Occasional long trips (vacation, work)
Commuting (winter, and occasional summer)
Possibly towing a pop up camping trailer in the future (wife's idea, I want
to stick to the tents!)

Likes and Dislikes:
I like getting good performance but also good mileage (My '92 Stealth ES is a
good example, decent performance (for me at least) and 24Cty/30Hwy mpg). I'm
no racer, but I do drive kind of hard. I like good acceleration.

I've driven the 3.9L/3.55 both automatic and manual, and thought it had good
enough performance, certainly better than the '89 Mazda B2600i this truck
will be replacing.

Questions:
1. How does the 4.7 compare to the 3.9? I like the fact the 4.7 has better
performance (does it?) and better mileage than the 3.9. But the 3.9 is
satisfactory for me. Should I risk going with a new engine (especially
considering they've already recalled it before they even sold any). Since
I'm in MA, no 4.7's available to try here yet. Do you think the MA emissions
will kill the performance?

2. Should I upgrade to the Posi and/or 3.92 gears? What does these do for
me? Is it worth $300? How would it affect mileage (I want _at least_ 18
Hwy). (Actually w/4.7L & 5M, I have to get the Posi).

3. How about the $34 1800# payload option, which gives the larger rear
brakes. Does this option also do anything for the suspension? (this would
mean I'd have to get the Sure Grip rear end, etc.). Should I get it?

4. I'm trying to decide between Auto and Manual and would like some opinions.
 I tend to like the control a Manual gives you, but am considering finally
switching to Auto. Going standard saves a good chunk of change, but does
make for a less comfortable drive for my passengers (at least the way I
drive). But I drive the truck mostly by myself (we have an Intrepid for the
family). Also, if I get the Auto, I don't need the Sure Grip Posi.

5. How about $51 for HD Cooling? Does it help? I imagine if I go Auto
Tranny, I should get it.

Sorry this message was so long, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Tom Perry