ram/shaker hood-reply to G.S.'s post

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 00:16:35 EDT

"There has to be tons of variables involved in this question.
so I'll take an average "best guess" from some of the gurus.
Frank, BruceB, Eric, Patrick, Bernd, Shaun?, Charles, Jon?
Bill (Tier), Bob, Doc ? Hehe....Jules...?(shocker!)"

-If your looking for my opinion, I think that any shaker hood is
cosmetic, not a performance increasing modification. My belief is the
original intent when these hoods were put on the older Barracuda's and
Mach1's was to have the power of the engine show by a vibrating scoop
visible to anyone looking at the hood. These cars basically had a race
engine installed in them with a very racy, rough idling camshaft, and
the shaker hood showcased the power.
  Ram air can only be effective if it is put in a high pressure center.
If I am correct, I believe the base of the windshield is a low pressure
center, the front of the hood is a high pressure center, and the middle
of the hood is somewhere in between.
  The newer TransAm's have a dual snorkle style hood that puts 2 huge
nostrils right in the airstream. Oldsmobile put big scoops on their
442's in the late '60's and early 70's, and they were up in on the front
of the hood. I think these cars were effectively utilizing a ram-air
hood. I think the best place to put an air inlet for a ram air system
would be in the grill or nose of the car/truck and duct the air directly
to the intake/throttle body with as little turning radii as possible.
  Restating my comment on the shaker, I believe it to be more cosmetic
than a power enhancing modification.
  Do I like it or would I buy it? Hell yeah, I think it looks cool.
Patrick
(one of the many)
Firestone/Baltimore