Re: Dynomax Exhaust

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 13:36:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/99 11:42:48 AM Central Daylight Time, bernd@texas.net
writes:

<< affled", "Sound Deflection Plates", etc...all
 work as per their design. There isn't that much of a difference between
 the Flowmaster, DynoMax, Gibson, or Borla mufflers that would make one or
 the other better (or worse) than the other. All are excellent companies
 that make an excellent product and the final decision is ultimately up to
 you (and your pocketbook).
 I have personally run the Walker DynoMax Super Turbo, Flowmaster 40 Series,
 and Magna Flow mufflers on my truck and have decided on the Flowmaster
 mainly because of the exhaust sound. None of them gave the truck any
 better performance then the other.

Basically Bernd is true here. The only real difference will be how much you
really want to spend. A Super Turbo Muffler will cost about $29, fairly
inexpensive if you ask me. A Gibson muffler will cost about $70-$75, alittle
pricey for me. A Flowmaster, depending on whether you want a 2 or 3 chamber
will cost from $60-$75. Myself, I would rather have a simple baffled muffler
like a Gibson or a Flowmaster, so nothing can really burn out or possibly
clog the exhaust flow, as some mufflers can. Right now, I am leaning towards
a Gibson or a 3 Chambered Flowmaster; I just plan on having the old
muffler(109,000 miles on it) cut out and an aftermarket one welded on. Since
my stock pipes are in fine condition, and they are already 2.5" pipe, no real
need to replace the entire system. The only other mod I have done to my
exhaust is I cut off the exit pipe where it makes the 90 degree bend and
exits towards the rear passenger side tire. I then clamped and sealed on a
mandrel bent 45 degree bend with a Meg's Stainless Steel 2"x5" Flat Oval Tip
that now exits at the corner of the rear of the bumper; it really looks
great. I just will soon need more exhaust flow and a better sound(TB mods and
air intake mods). I will also save some money this way, only to spend on
something else for my Dak!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6