RE: Exhaust Systems! Are They Worth IT?

From: Bryan West (BryanW@huscointl.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 1999 - 13:41:15 EDT

I'm sure that I'm going to get a lot of flack on this one. Here's my
opinion on the exhaust system question: The cat-back systems you can
buy only do marginal good, they promise up to 10 sometimes 15 horsepower
and 1 or so miles per gallon. I haven't heard anything on the actual
mileage reports, and the best increase I've heard of being dyno'd off an
engine that only had the cat-back thing done is 9 HP. For the 400 to
600 dollars these things cost, the only satisfaction i can see is the
noise factor, which is extremely fun. On my '99 5.2L 4x4 CC I was
thinking about a cat-back. Then i went and talked to a guy that would
do it at a reasonable price, and just asked him about a straight pipe in
place of the muffler. This only ran me about 50 bucks and I love the
sound that truck makes now. I don't have a dyno, but I could feel a
slight difference in the engine, mostly it is throttle response. I had
a miniscule gain after putting a 10" open element air cleaner on the
truck, and taking the muffler off added to that slightly, I am guessing
I gained between 7 and 10 HP total, since below that it is very
difficult to actually feel a difference. Therefore are the exhaust
systems worth the money? I don't believe so. I do wish someone would
come up with a complete dual set I could but on the truck, that would
actually give some gains.

-Bryan