RE: RE: Best headers for '97+ 318

From: Jason@Sarah
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 11:40:55 EDT

>From what I hear on horsepower TV is that the "Shorty" headers are supposed
to give you more Torque while the more common long headers like the Leach
are supposed to give you more Horsepower. It all depends if your going off
road or to the strip.

Jason

>Want to get people's opinions on what are the best ceramic coated
>headers to buy out there? I am looking to mainly increase low-mid
>range torque on my '99 318 4x4 auto. But also want something that
>includes the y pipe and fits well. <snip>

The Leach headers certainly satisfy your criteria for fit, y-pipe,
and (optionally) ceramic coated. It's a high quality product especially
in the crucial flange areas.

In all my experiences with headers including the Leach headers, you
will not get a low end torque gain but lose some. The gains will be
at the mid-high end. Prior to putting the headers on, it was quite
easy to unintentionally squeal the tires from idle. After the headers,
I found that I had to get on the pedal more for this to happen. My guess
is that it moved the torque band up about 300 rpms. The headers did
increase
pedal response (i.e. quicker to increase the revs) and had more torque in
the mid-upper ranges.

If you subscribe to Mopar Muscle mag., take a look at the Aug.'99
issue beginning at p.54 ... it'll give you an idea at what the Leach
headers did on a chasis dyno (although it doesn't show what occurred
below 3000 rpm).

The only con that I would have with the Leach headers is that they
are expensive. Hope this helps.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC NSV Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.