RE: RE: Best headers for '97+ 318

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 1999 - 14:55:53 EDT

At 08:40 AM 9/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>From what I hear on horsepower TV is that the "Shorty" headers are supposed
>to give you more Torque while the more common long headers like the Leach
>are supposed to give you more Horsepower. It all depends if your going off
>road or to the strip.

I thought that I read that the Leach ('97+) and Doug Thorley (pre-97)
headers were 'shorty' headers. The Leach header is described as a
TriY-type header designed to fit the power outputs of the magnums.

The recently released Hooker headers are the long headers type which
will require a custom exhaust system and probably will have more
low end torque loss than either Leach's or DT's headers.

Whatever ... my experience is a bit of low end torque with the Leach
is lost and the power band moves up about 300 rpm.

>I've never seen headers that expensive anywhere!

Welcome to today's Canada. The MP headers (Leach's that have been triple-
chromed plated) would have cost me $895 CDN plus 15% sales taxes
from a Dodge dealer's parts dept. and that's jobber's price.
If you think that's high, you should see our personal income tax rates.
On the other hand, there are many, many other things which makes me
glad that I was born and live here.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC NSV Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.