RE: 4x4 Towing-- Results

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Sun Sep 19 1999 - 18:54:23 EDT

Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. On my wife's 4x4 (31" tires),
and 3.55 gearing... In OD, it turns a mild 1900-2000 rpm @ 65 mph.
In Drive (D) is turns 2800-2900 rpm @ 65 mph... Going with 3.92 gearing
will put the truck in the 55-57 mph range @ that same 2800-2900 rpm in
Drive (D). I did a straight comparison with my RT, which has 3.92
gearing and a little shorter tire height.

Regular highway (in OD) rpm in the 4x4 runs in the 2000-2200 rpm range
for me @ 70-75 mph. The 4x4 will cruise at 75 mph all day and get much
better mileage than the RT @ 75 mph (2600 rpm on the RT vs. 2200 rpm on the
4x4).

I can see only two reasons for the 3.92 gearing (maybe 3)
1) You live in Colorado or something, and have a lot of hills to deal with
    *I.E. you want more towing grunt, plus 3.92 gearing has a higher tow
rating
2) You want to have RT like quickness off the line for street light fun

3) You need the lower gearing for additional LO range while 4x4ing.

If you tow a travel trailer, car trailer, etc. etc... up to 5000#, the 3.55
gears are fine, just use Drive (D) and forget about using OD. Then when you
are running empty, you should get 1-3 mpg better on highway than 3.92
gearing
(except on mountain driving and such, where you might be going in/out of
OD).

Is that clear enough?

Hope so... if not, let me know.

Sam '99 RT & 4x4
ps. Just drove the Dart around, it's a 7 cyl... he he.. going to be a
great
car.