Re: Re: RE:New Dodge "Different" Commercials

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 19:11:16 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 5:39:26 PM, GSWillhite@ualr.edu writes:

>> Personally, I like em, evidently a stroke
>> of advertising genius. (Tell you what, if you can
>> sell trucks/cars without even showing the car or blah
>> blah
>
>If thats advertising genious, I've hung around the SGI
>lab at the university too long. Personally, I like the
>"Get in, be driven" type commericals with a little more
>action and effects.

You know, for someone that works in advertising, I hafta agree that these
commercials, while not as action-driven as most car commercials, definitely
stick out from the pack. And that's EXACTLY what they were intended to do.

1. One of the problems that advertising creatives have is overcoming the
advertising CLUTTER that is so prevalent today, with the overwhelming assault
on our senses and attention spans from advertising in every conceivable
medium and aspect of our lives. Yeah, its not typical auto advertising.
Typical auto ads show a car zooming around the screen with some price points
or a witty voiceover. Problem is, after the commercial is over, the typical
consumer has a hard time remembering who the hell the commercial was
representing. "Dodge. Different." is direct, to the point, and obviously
memorable...A car commercial that doesn't show cars? Infinity (I think it was
Infinity...it was a long time ago...) did the same thing years ago, showing
only fields or nature scenes, and created quite a buzz for their
introduction. DC, job very well done.

2. Studies show that the typical consumer purchase is not made out of facts
and research, but rather by personal, emotional forces that no one really
understands. One force that is WELL understood, however, is people's yearning
for individuality. To be different. To show a little personality. Advertisers
know this, as do salespeople. Auto sales are an incredibly emotion-driven
purchase. Dodge, by using the tag "Different." is on to this...and although
it is not typical, it will help stoke those deep down emotions to drive
something that truly is different. And sell a lot of Dodge vehicles, or at
least get people to the dealers.

That's advertising for you. These are corporate image ads, not product ads.
They sell the brand, not specific products (not directly)...they will
probably be replaced shortly with product ads, so enjoy in the meantime!

Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC Sport 4x4 3.9L 5-spd
2" Rear spring lift, front T-bar crank, 30x9.50 BFG AT's, Brush guard w/
Hellas, Tow hooks, Tool Box, Sunroof, Cobra 18 CB, 4' Firestik II, Alpine
6-disc CD Changer/Head Unit/amp, JBL speakers, Rhode Gear bike mount, Saris
roof rack, custom-welded rock rails, and a white dog named Jake in the
passenger seat. 79,000+ miles.
http://csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu/WWWProfile/dakota/XzDn9Nl7vFo8M/