Rearend strength vs size question...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 17:10:36 EDT

   Does the size of a rearend directly correspond to its
strength? I've noticed that it seems like the bigger it
gets, the stronger it gets, (i.e. 9 1/4 is an upgrade from
the 8 1/4 on the Dak, dump trucks have 12" rearends, etc.)
but is size the only determining factor?

   The reason I'm wondering is, for a high horsepower
(drag racing) application, which would be better, the
tried and true 8 3/4", or the 9 1/4" from the R/Ts, Rams,
and late model Daks? Is the 9 1/4" stronger? I'm just
wondering because I see a lot of quick cars using the 8 3/4,
but I never hear of anyone using the 9 1/4. Is this a
price issue? A weight issue? A strenth issue? An
availablility issue?

   Also, are rearends "rated" for a particular HP or torque?
If so, where can I find these ratings?

   Since I've torn the 8 1/4 out of my Dak once already, and
Eric has done so several times, obviously this thing isn't up to
serious drag strip duty. So, I definitely will be putting
in a stronger rearend in the future, but I'm undecided as
to what to use. Obviously, cost is a big factor, but I want
strength too. I'd like to get something that'll be able
to handle a thousand horsepower or so, rather than get
something intermediate just to have to upgrade again later.
Obviously I don't have anywhere near that much power now, but
who knows what the future holds?

  Thanks very much for any info anyone can provide!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |