Re: Rearend strength vs size question...

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 08:54:40 EDT

At 05:10 PM 9/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Does the size of a rearend directly correspond to its
>strength? I've noticed that it seems like the bigger it
>gets, the stronger it gets, (i.e. 9 1/4 is an upgrade from
>the 8 1/4 on the Dak, dump trucks have 12" rearends, etc.)
>but is size the only determining factor?

The 8 3/4 is popular because of its stout construction,
the strength of a larger ring gear, its easy to set-up
drop-in carrier, ease of gear change, and no C-clips
(probably the most vunerable part of the 8 1/4).

There's an article in March '98 Mopar Muscle, "Beefing up
the 8 1/4: Bring your 8 1/4 to 8 3/4 capabilities". The
author is of the opinion that the 8 1/4 is good enough
unless you're building a big-block or a full-race small-
block. Some drag racers prefer the 8 1/4 because it's lighter
and there's less reciprocating mass, so more power hits the
tires, and they're less expensive to rebuild/upgrade. His
rebuild article uses parts and rebuild kit from Ring & Pinion
Service. He says that if he were to put the vehicle on the
strip with slicks, he'd have stayed with this rear but bought
aftermarket axles and a C-clip eliminator kit.

If I happen to come across anything more, I'll let you know.

Bob, Burlington, Ontario
'97 FR CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.