Re: Crate Engines

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 17:43:06 EDT

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 Fastdak@aol.com wrote:

> Just got a letter back from Koller Dodge that Crate engines will work in
> dakota's. For 93' n up, the throttle body and intake don't need to be
> changed either. I'm considering this cause my 96' that I just bought only
> has a V6. I haven't seen a V6 run 14's or 13's yet, even thought I was told
> it was possible for them to run in the 12's (Magnum Performance) if you have
> the budget. So I decided I might as well save up for the crate 360. Has
> anyone done this big mod??

   Is cost a factor? If so, I'd recommend going with a "street" 360.
That is, buy a 360 that used to be in a Ram or a van, etc. The cam in
the crate motor is too hairy for the stock computer, so you're looking
at either a re-program (I'm not sure of the cost, but I've seen quotes
in the $800 neighborhood) or go with a Rance or Accel fuel injection
setup, which is going to be at least $1000. (But I like this option
better than a re-program since you will have full control over your
fuel/air/ignition. Or, you could put a carb on there if you want, but
to me that seems like going in the wrong direction. :-) Either way,
you'll lose most of your idiot lights and guages. However, if you get
a 360 from a street vehicle, its strictly plug 'n play. Bolt it in and
go. (You'll probably want a 360 computer for best performance.) Since
you have a '96 truck, you'll probably want a '96 computer, but I as far
as the engine itself goes, I think any 360 from '93-up will work. You'll
probably need to get a V8 fan shroud, as the V6 one is too big; the 8 will
protrude further forward. Either that or just replace the fan with an
electric.

  A used 360 might have some miles on it, but it'll be half the cost of
the crate motor. Plus, it'll look just like the stocker 318, so it'll be
easier to pass a visual inspection. Another option is to buy a new 360
from a dealer (I have no idea what this costs). Or, for not too much
more cash than the crate motor, you can have Kammer & Kammer build you a
360 that'll send the crate motors running home to momma.

  Since you have a V6, you probably have the "wimpy" tranny. You'll
want to seriously think about upgrading it. (Or leave it in and
see how long it lasts, if you prefer. Might be an interesting
experiment.) ;-)

   I haven't done the swap yet, so I don't have firsthand experience,
this is all info I've picked up from working up to the install and
gathering info. Currently, I'm leaning toward the Kammer & Kammer
route. (After seeing Bill's 318 strewn across his garage, I don't
think I want to get that involved, (eventually I'd have to tear
it apart to do the cam and heads); having the pros build the engine
and use all their little secrets is tempting.) :-) Speaking of which,
Brad, are you still with us? Hows your Kammer & Kammer 318 install
going?

  I hope this helps, and good luck!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |