Re: Fw: ..please read(recommend me a blower)

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 18:52:01 EDT

> Are you sure that the vacuum from the motor wouldn't turn the twin screws
> inside the KB blower? I've had to run my SS/T w/o a belt on the blower,
and
> the vacuum could spin the impeller. I doubt it did it much good airflow
wise,
> but it worked. :-)
I'm sure.. the Whipple design is derived from the roots design, just more
efficient (less air heating)... and when you broke a belt on one of those,
you were stuck! they are sealed from the input to output.. the design is
like 2 interleaving massive screws made out of aluminum... and as the screws
turn, air is trapped between the threads and the sides of the case, moving
from one end of the blower to the other... the action is not in such a
direct manner that the vacuum from the engine would make the rotors turn...
This would be an advantage to the Vortech, but the Vortech uses the same
drive belt as the accesories, and is gear driven for the step-up... so if
the belt breaks, you've got to put on a spare anyway... and if the gears go,
I don't recommend running the vehicle until it's fixed, since the Vortech
shares the same oil supply as the engine.. in a failure it will contaminate
the oil.

> I'm still not convinced of the KB's performance .... I wish that SP360
> Durango would have raced me ! I remember back in the Mustang days all the
> guys with the whipples would be last in the SC race (1/4 mile) with lots
of
> detonation problems. Heat maybe?
Agreed, if high-end HP is your goal, I think the Vortech is probably a
better bet, as it has less parasitic drag & less heating of the intake
charge. The Kenne Bell is (IMHO) the best for 4x4 crawling & towing
applications, due to the low-end torque boost... I have not been conviced
of it's capability at high RPM either... it just doesn't seem to pull real
good high-end HP numbers.

> I really don't have that much of a lag time before my truck starts to make
> power, even with the radical cam and dual exhaust setup I run. I did
install
> 4.10 gears (soon to be 4.30) and a 2400 stall converter to help this slug
get
> moving from a dead stop, though.
I need to look at better gearing if I ever want my 60' times to not suck so
much (I haven't raced it, but I know a slug off the line when I drive one!)
and I'll bet the 2400 stall converter would help me as well (and I'm not
supercharged) But do you have a boost gauge? If so, I'd be curious to know
what the boost is at different RPMs... like what is it @ 2500 & every 500
RPM after? I know the Kenne Bell is supposed to be almost linear.. (i.e.
nearly constant 6PSI from 1500 RPM on up)

> It works. Schooled a 6 spd Vette the other day. :-) In a full size truck.
:-)
> I can't get enough..... hah
Impressive... the 'vette pilots that will race get pretty upset about being
beaten, in my experience (my Charger was pretty good at it)

Gary Shook
Penrose, CO