Re: Noisy Lifters

From: Tibor Kun (tiborkun@excite.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 19:25:04 EDT

Hi Bernd,

>> Most beds will "wiggle" anyway since they're mounted to the frame on
rubber
mounts. That's normal (Chevy, Ford, Toyota, GMC, Dodge) all do the same
thing. You should see my bed when it twists offroad! <<

Well, I used to own a Ford Ranger, and I *never* caught it wiggling. I
don't go offroad with this one, though, nor with the one before it. The
problem that bothers me is that because it wiggles so, it also screws up the
tailgate latch - I hate driving with the rear window panel open and
listening to creaks and groans and slaps and slams - I paid too much money
for this truck for it to be so darned noisy!

>> With the noisy lifters...you sure it isn't the injectors...those suckers
are
noisy...click, click, click. I thought the same until I took my mechanics
stethoscope to the valve covers, heads, and intake manifold. Lifters and
Rockers are nice and quiet...injectors are noisy as hell. <<

It could very well be the injectors - what does this mean? Is it a bad
problem? And would they only be loud at first then quiet down, or remain
vocal the duration of the drive? My click goes down to "normal" within a
half mile of driving. I actually like it when it's subdued; sounds like a
bigger engine. But when it starts up, it sounds broke.

>> (Regardless, wouldn't hurt to have the system flushed and filled with
dino-oil.) <<

We had that done today; the problem persists, the but the oil is clean as
fresh vegetable oil - nice!

>> With the pinging problem, have you replaced the wires, plugs (not
Platinum
plugs), Cap & Rotor? Also what type of fuel are you running?$0.02 <<

I've left all of this stock so far. I have aspirations of eventually
getting platinum SplitFires and those HotWires with the capacitors built in
and maybe a new cap & rotor, but while I think I'll be tuning it up with the
platinums soon, the rest will likely have to wait. The pinging is *very*
noticeable (and annoying) on regular fuel (which I'm running in it now so I
can demonstrate this problem that they never seem to find), but is almost
completely gone when I'm running premium. Doesn't matter what brand.

What do you think, Bernd? And how can one fix the fuel injectors if those
are the culprits behind the ticking - and do I need to?

--
Tibor Kun
Email: tkun@compuserve.com

________________________________________________________________ Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite.com Talk online at http://voicechat.excite.com