RE: Re: Noisy Lifters

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 22:57:29 EDT

Check to see if the factory installed the rubber mounts on the tailgate.
They were missing on mine and I didn't know about it until I looked at
another bed up close. If they're missing...the tailgate rattles and squeaks
quite a bit. (They are 1" rubber blocks, one on each side, that are mounted
to the bed on the inside of where the tailgate meets the bed.)

The fuel injectors stay at the same tone (only "click" faster as engine
speed increases). If the sound is there in the morning on initial startup
and then goes away after about 1/2 mile...sounds like it could be something
more than just "normal noises". Take it to two different dealers and have
them just listen to it. (It's that second opinion option that we all have.)

Injectors will normally "click" a little bit right from the start. If you
don't hear them...they could be dirty. The clicking noise gets quieter when
there's buildup on the seats (or discs...depending on injector type).

Try to stay with a set of normal (low impedance) wires (again, MSD,
SplitFire, Taylor, and Magnecore)...also, if you have any desire to run an
MSD box in the near future, stay away from the platinum plugs. (The
SplitFire worked fine even with my MSD setup, but they're not recommended.
Stick to the regular plugs.)

Flushed and replaced with Vegetable Oil...Wesson or Mazola? (Gotta keep the
cholesterol down on our already fit engines!) ;)

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
1997 Dodge Dakota SLT/CC - 2WD
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm