Re: Noisy Lifters

From: jimm (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 21:39:45 EDT

Tibor Kun wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Any one experience noisy lifters in a '98 V6?

In my experience any 3.9 v6 or v8 may do this

> I'm running Mobil 1 (switched
> about 10K miles ago) and am currently at 31K miles.

> I have run only Mobil 1 in all my veichles for several years.

> The problem is only
> noticeable when I start it up after it's been sitting there for hours.

> New veichles on the lots will often do this if they have not been started
> regularly.

> Either way, my wife is taking
> tomorrow off, and she'll take the truck in to have the engine flushed and
> "natural" oil put in it; I don't want to risk the dealership coming back
> saying that my choice of synthetic oil has voided my warranty.

This is unnecessary. Chrysler does not care if you use Mobile1 in your
veichle. For several years many GM veichles have come with Mobile1 in them from
the factory.

> BTW - as an update, I *did* take the Dakota in about a month ago regarding
> the wiggling bed and pinging.
> The service advisor wrote down that "rear cab" wiggled instead of "bed", so
> they weren't able to reproduce that either. This after I'd explained to him
> that he need only hop in, drive over railroad tracks, and look in the rear
> view mirror - all would be revealed. That was Huffines in Lewisville,
> Texas; a suburb of Dallas. This time I'm taking it to McKinney Dodge to see
> what they say. Hopefully someone will fix these problems; this is my
> favorite of the vehicles I've owned thus far, and it's frustrating that it's
> plagued by these problems!

Every brand of pickup I ever owned the bed wiggled because it is not attached to
the cab and usually mounted on rubber bushings so it can move to absorb shock.

> I hope this may help you but of course it is only my opinion. The lifter
> noise may or may not be signs of a problem but I seriously doubt the oil is to
> blame. I am sure other DML members will reply to you and I am interested to
> see how many are similar to my reply.

Good luck.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T Rc Fr