Re: Re: RE: FRAM Quality was: Increased Capacity Oil Filter

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 15:45:29 EDT

 From personal experience, I had a Fram PH8A literally blow-up on my old
Camaro. The oiling system ran at 80psi (normal), had just completed an oil
change (I was running Redline 20w50 in that engine), and were getting ready
for a drive around the block. We made it about a 1/4 mile and heard a VERY
loud bang. I pulled over immediately, shut her down, looked around the
car, and found a big puddle of oil with orange shrapnel mixed in. I pulled
off the hood and looked at the (now missing) oil filter. I'll never use
them again. (This happened 6 years ago.)

They may have fixed their design since then, it may have been a bad filter,
but i'm not going to take that chance again. I haven't gone wrong with WIX
since.

$0.02

- Bernd