Re: Re: Re: Spinning the tires.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 26 1999 - 20:05:03 EDT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Andy Roberts wrote:

>> A police cruiser will practically eat any street car, besides rice
>> rocket bikes and intelligent drivers (rarity).
>
> Not quite. A police cruiser runs about 16.7 1/4 mile.
> I went to go see a friend in a small town. My buddy said he would like
> to see my truck run (99 R/T) I ran a 93 Mustang I beat it. I cop pull
> in a said have you been racing everyone said no Well to make it short
> the cop ask the 93 Mustang to race We all went to see the Mustang eat
> that cruiser The cop said the supercharger does not kick in to 70mph
> to save gas on hiway driving-Andy Roberts

  Car & Driver occasionally road tests police vehicles, especially
when a new model comes out. They're nothing special. True, they
may have a litle more power than the civvy version, but they've got so
much extra weight that they accelerate like the bloated land yachts
they are.

  Granted, there are exceptions; I wouldn't want to try my luck against
the police Camaro Z-28, but the cruisers are no big deal.

  Just in case my post gets taken the wrong way, I should mention that what
*is* a big deal are the on-board camera and police radio. Doesn't matter
how fast the car is, its not a good idea to run from 'em... If they want
you bad enough, they're probably going to catch you.

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |