Re: PLEASE help. 20 degrees engine advance.

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 07:32:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/99 8:59:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Dester223@aol.com writes:

<< degrees BTC (advance) jumped from 11-26. then stayed steady around 17,
but
 STILL jumped around.

 before cat O2 sensor :rich, lean, center, rich, rich..... kept moving too!

Were these timing readings at idle? Its normal for timing to jump around a
few degrees, but not that much, not at idle.

The O2 sensor is working correctly. THats what it is supposed to do, you
have a prob when it dosent switch back and forth.

if the scanner is reading all this, did you have any codes stored?

If your timing was 17 deg BTC at idle, you may have a prob. with timing.
Could be in the dist gear, could be the timing chain, Now to reset your
timing, you need something more than a scanner. You should find out whats
causing the problem first.
All i can say is from experience here. My ol 87 did this, I couldnt get a
correct reading it was jumping around so much. Turned out I had about 13 deg
offset because of the slack in my timing chain. Before I changed it, I could
wiggle it (the chain) back and forth.
hope this helps
Boog