Engine/Tranny Replacing.....

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 23:04:46 EDT

With all this talk about engines(and rebuilds, etc) I have a few fairly basic
questions. I am going to do a complete build up on my Dak(sometime in 2000),
and the engine/tranny is part of it. My plans are: TrailMaster 4" Lift, Dual
shocks at each corner, 32" BFG AT(KO)tires, New rims, HD torsion bars,
3.9(3.91) gears swapped in for the 3.55 gears in both diffs, sometype of
LSD/rear traction assist, and hopefully someother goodies, budget allowing of
course.
First, I want to put a new 3.9L along with a tranny in my Dak sometime next
year, currently at 110,500 miles. What would be 'best', have the engine
rebuilt or have a new complete 3.9L put in? What would be most cost/power
effective??? Can I get a 93 V6 Magnum Engine still? Or will I have to get a
99 or so and "adapt" it in?
Secondly, Can my stock transmission just be "rebuilt" to handle a "new
engine" rather than buying a complete new auto tranny and having it bolted
on??? Anyone know how much a complete auto tranny rebuild is? My transmission
really isnt that bad now, but I am just curious how much I should plan to
spend, at the most, for the complete rebuild. Thanks for any advice or input,
as I really need to start planning now!!!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6(AND PROUD!!!!!!!)