Re: HP loss through drivetrain.

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 19:01:51 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/99 10:10:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

<< By my calculations, you will need to weigh in at about 3800 lbs, driver
 included, to run 12.90. If it weighed about 3900lbs, it should run
 about 13.00. My '96 Club Cab weighs in at about 4200lbs. It has
 run 14.55, and has been dynoed at 235hp and 293lb-ft at the rear
 wheels. My dragstrip calcs show it should be making about 270hp at the
 crank. If that's true, I'm losing about 13% due to the drivetrain.
 (NV3500 tranny)

   I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it'll
 help you to get in the ballpark...

   So, how was Kammer & Kammer to deal with? Do they ordinarily take
 this long to do a motor, or was this a special case? Congrats again
 on the motor! I'll be lookin' forward to those dragstrip times! >>

Perfect, pretty much what I wanted to know. I also have the NV 3500. Kammer
& Kammer was great!!!! I believe I have the first "street" Magnum motor they
have built. Most of their motors are for NHRA Stock class drag racing. Yah,
it did take a long time, because of little things that happened. Like, when
they had the short block all together and were ready to install the heads,
they realized they were using a crate motor Magnum block. Apparently, the
crate Magnums dont have the bosses cast in to them to mount the motor in a
Dakota. So start all over again. ALso, I blew the truck up Christmas Eve,
but didnt get around to sending them the parts until late February, and the
trucking company took two weeks to get the parts there! Then there was the
throttle body issue. Patrick of RD Performance accidently sent the wrong TB
to Kammers. He sent the correct the next day, but forgot all the sensors
that go on it! This took another week and a half, so right there I have used
close to three months just in little problems. But, its done and on its way
to me. frank Holloway is gonna be heloing me with the computer tuning once I
get it running. Betweens Bob Kammer and Frank Holloway, I cant go wrong.

Brad