Re: Re: Trannies

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 16 1999 - 19:34:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/99 5:16:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

<< Is a 904 stronger than a 727? >>

Jon

I think the 904 was a light duty tranny for the small passenger car market. I
have read a article though where the 904 can be built to take big time abuse
and it is supposed to be faster in the 1/4 due to the less rotating mass
theory. The new version is the A500 or 44re I think and is used with the V6.
The A518 is the 318 and 360 tranny and is a modified 727 with a overdrive. I
have read that the A518 was weakened up in a couple a areas and is not as
strong as the 727. Also MP lists a A518 heavy duty (can't remember if they
sated a HP rating) but it does not use a Lock-up TC (good or bad ?? I would
think that with a higher stall TC the lockup would be a plus but maybe a
weakness ?) Somebody has to make these for MP and I have been trying to
research this a little bit, I would like a beefed up tranny just for
reliability factor. Also want the 8 3/4 rear then hang on and peak er out,
Hello elevens :-)

Bill